RE: [xml-dev] When parsing speed matters (was Re: [xml-dev] No XML Binaries? Buy Hardware)

From
Michael Kay <>
To
'David Megginson' <>,
Date
2007-02-26T21:31:14
ID
<007201c759ed$71ad1c00$6401a8c0@turtle>
Thread
RE: [xml-dev] When parsing speed matters (was Re: [xml-dev] No XML Binaries? Buy Hardware)
> > *cough*While I love XML as everybody else on this mail list,  HUGE 
> > perfomances problems that ask for hardware can be a sign on the sky 
> > some people is using XML where a relational database can be
> > better*cough*

Well I've had someone recently complaining(!) that Saxon takes 15 minutes to
process their 15 Gbyte XML file, and that was my reaction too. But I think
they are actually taking a real-time data feed and selecting the data they
want to put in the database, which seems a reasonable approach.

What I don't know is how much they would be prepared to pay for a solution
that processed the same file in 1 minute. That's the test. 

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/