Re: [xml-dev] Ten Years Later - XML 1.0 Fifth Edition?

From
Elliotte Harold <>
Date
2008-02-18T18:56:06Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Ten Years Later - XML 1.0 Fifth Edition?
Jim Melton wrote:

> And that's the crux of this entire discussion, at least for me.  Let me 
> use the characters on *my* keyboard to define the names of my elements 
> and attributes.
> 

Agreed, and fully accomplished in XML 1.0. I challenge anyone to produce 
an actual keyboard with letters or ideographs not allowed as name 
characters in XML 1.0.

Perhaps there's an Amharic or Cambodian keyboard out there somewhere, 
but I really doubt any keyboard contain any characters added in Unicode 
4.0 and beyond.

I would greatly appreciate if the proponents of incompatible revisions 
to XML would stop setting up strawmen. No one here is saying we should 
be satisfied with ASCII, or limit ourselves to English. I am saying that 
the impressive internationalization and localization achieved by XML 1.0 
goes far beyond anything we've had before, and meets all actual needs. I 
am also saying that if I'm wrong about that and it doesn't meet all 
actual needs of actual users, then this should be addressed in a new 
version of XML rather than by abusing the W3C errata process.

-- 
Elliotte Rusty Harold  
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!
http://www.cafeaulait.org/books/javaio2/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0596527500/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA/