Re: [xml-dev] XML Design for Diverse Data

From
Dave Pawson <>
To
XML Developers List <>
Date
2008-04-25T08:40:46Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] XML Design for Diverse Data
bryan rasmussen wrote:

> NVDL is focused on allowing extensibility of the XML, but at the end
> of an NVDL validation the XML instance is valid and unchanged.

Would you expect any xml instance to be changed by a validation process?



  This is
> of course a good thing in some circumstances, but in the context of a
> large enough system that I don't trust I might want to do something
> like:
> 
> Validate, send only one particular namespace to certain parts of the system.

A transformation task? Not a validator?
NVDL despatches certain parts of an instance to a validator.
Not to a part of your system.

> 
> Currently what I would do is to extract the relevant namespace and
> serialize it via an XSL-T and send it to the part of the system that I
> know can handle that namespace.
> 
> NVDL doesn't seem to help that.

Nor would Jing or any other validator? It's not their job in life Bryan.

I wouldn't expect to use a validator as a sax filter? They why should I 
ask a validator to do a filters job?


Quote. 19757:4
This part of ISO/IEC 19757 specifies a Namespace-based Validation 
Dispatching Language (NVDL). An NVDL
script controls the dispatching of elements or attributes in a given XML 
document to different validators,
depending on the namespaces of the elements or attributes. An NVDL 
script also specifies which schemas are
used by these validators.
end quote.




regards

-- 
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
http://www.dpawson.co.uk