Re: [xml-dev] Accurate line and column numbers for elements and attributes in Java

From
John Snelson <>
To
Michael Kay <>
Date
2008-06-06T22:57:09Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Accurate line and column numbers for elements and attributes in Java
Michael Kay wrote:
> I don't really accept the arguments about attribute value normalization. I
> think the real reason parsers (and APIs) don't provide more information is
> an obsession with performance, not realizing that for many applications,
> parser performance is not the #1 objective.

That's fair enough - I think I was trying to be more charitable to 
parser writers. Attribute value normalization certainly causes problems 
when trying to parse XPath from an attribute value and give good error 
locations.

However I would say that reporting accurate line and column numbers has 
very little to do with performance, as I've been able to write a parser 
with roughly the same performance as expat that does just that.

John

-- 
John Snelson, Oracle Corporation            http://snelson.org.uk/john
Berkeley DB XML:            http://oracle.com/database/berkeley-db/xml
XQilla:                                  http://xqilla.sourceforge.net