RE: [xml-dev] Can Xpath 1.0 print "position()" results?

From
Karr, David <>
To
Robert Koberg <>
Date
2008-10-22T19:09:07Z
ID
<>
Thread
RE: [xml-dev] Can Xpath 1.0 print "position()" results?
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Robert Koberg [mailto:] 
> Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:41 AM
> To: Karr, David
> Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Can Xpath 1.0 print "position()" results?
> 
> 
> On Oct 22, 2008, at 2:35 PM, Karr, David wrote:
> 
> > Not that I really need to know this, but someone asked this on 
> > StackOverflow, and now I gotta know. :)
> >
> > Is it possible for a plain Xpath 1.0 query to return a 
> "position()"  
> > value?  I know it can be used in predicates, but that 
> simply results 
> > in the found element at that position.  I know I can return the 
> > "text()" result from an Xpath, but is it not possible to return the 
> > "position()" value?  If that's the case, I imagine there are other 
> > functions that might seem logical to get values from that 
> won't work 
> > like this.
> >
> 
> <xsl:value-of select="position()"/>
> 
> of course this is entirely dependent on the context you are 
> in and how you got to the context you are in.

Thanks, but I'm asking specifically for Xpath, not XSLT.