RE: [xml-dev] XML Schema: "Best used with the ______ tool"

From
Michael Kay <>
To
'Boris Kolpackov' <>
Date
2008-12-04T11:24:48
ID
<3C5ED696CB5B4392B69E257EE586FFD1@Sealion>
Thread
RE: [xml-dev] XML Schema: "Best used with the ______ tool"
One other observation on this "benchmark": 

> Note how in the XQuery case I had to invent a delimiter (':') 
> for the first, last, and age fields so that I could pass them 
> as a string from XQuery to the programming language. I then 
> had to manually parse this string and convert the age field 
> to unsigned short. To me, this doesn't look easier than data 
> binding at all.

The idea I'm pushing is that you write the application end-to-end using
XML-based languages. That means that you never convert the data into C++ or
Java data types. If you only go half way, by calling XQuery from Java and
then converting the results to Java values, you lose half the benefits.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/