Re: [xml-dev] Converting Excel Table to XML document

From
Anthony B. Coates (XML-Dev) <>
To
XML-dev <>
Date
2008-12-27T23:10:20
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Converting Excel Table to XML document
Interesting.  That definitely *didn't* work for me, because I found that  
the OpenOffice XML format doesn't always have the same number of columns  
in each row, which makes it hard to process.  I'm sure there is some good  
reason for that, do save space, but I couldn't work out what the rules  
were, and how to predict when a column would be missing in a row.

When that happens, the dumbed-down HTML approach (or the CSV approach) can  
be easier.

Cheers, Tony.

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:42:55 -0000, Dave Pawson <>  
wrote:

> Anthony B. Coates (XML-Dev) wrote:
>> What I've found easiest is to export an Excel sheet as HTML, run that  
>> through a "tidy" program to convert it into XHTML, then process the  
>> XHTML with XSLT (or your XML processing tool of choice).
>
>
> I got better results using excel -> Open Office, then
> process the xml using XSLT.

-- 
Anthony B. Coates
Director and CTO
Londata Ltd
UK: +44 (20) 8816 7700, US: +1 (239) 344 7700
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
Data standards participant: genericode, ISO 20022 (ISO 15022 XML),  
UN/CEFACT, MDDL, FpML, UBL.
http://www.londata.com/