Re: [xml-dev] M as the next XML?
I think there is still a lot more to do in order to break the wall between documents and objects !
I dream of a language where we could do :
data.txt :
person { name = "john", surname = "dow" }
data = load("data.txt");
That load creating both the squeleton of classes, and its instances.
And then access/modify data as if it was a document :
add(data, "//person[name = 'john'][surname = 'dow']", account = "54335");
All that expression "//person[name = 'john'][surname = 'dow']" as a string, that way that could be generically generated from a database, or a configuration file.
You could say that is already what is possible in XML, but still lots of developpers will ask you to have a real object tree, like :
var persons = data.person;
foreach person in persons {
if (person.name == "john" and person.surname == "dow") {
person.account = "54335";
}
}
See all the marshaller/unmarshaller APIs you find on the web in order to do that ! I do not think I will ever understand why people are so fan of those generated POJO objects.
I only saw a bit about JSON, but it seems they made some steps in that direction.
Regards
Nico
http://debeissat.nicolas.free.fr/programming.php
I dream of a language where we could do :
data.txt :
person { name = "john", surname = "dow" }
data = load("data.txt");
That load creating both the squeleton of classes, and its instances.
And then access/modify data as if it was a document :
add(data, "//person[name = 'john'][surname = 'dow']", account = "54335");
All that expression "//person[name = 'john'][surname = 'dow']" as a string, that way that could be generically generated from a database, or a configuration file.
You could say that is already what is possible in XML, but still lots of developpers will ask you to have a real object tree, like :
var persons = data.person;
foreach person in persons {
if (person.name == "john" and person.surname == "dow") {
person.account = "54335";
}
}
See all the marshaller/unmarshaller APIs you find on the web in order to do that ! I do not think I will ever understand why people are so fan of those generated POJO objects.
I only saw a bit about JSON, but it seems they made some steps in that direction.
Regards
Nico
http://debeissat.nicolas.free.fr/programming.php
2009/3/27 Simon St.Laurent <[email protected]>
Len Bullard wrote:I hope M eats the parts of XML's lunch that weren't very digestible (for XML) anyway.
Revenge of the curly. { and ; kick < and "'s butt.
More basic data types coupled a little more strongly to the syntax to
achieve a smarter pipeline.
Rick Jeliffe is right.
Should be a good thing.
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/
_______________________________________________________________________
XML-DEV is a publicly archived, unmoderated list hosted by OASIS
to support XML implementation and development. To minimize
spam in the archives, you must subscribe before posting.
[Un]Subscribe/change address: http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/
Or unsubscribe: [email protected]
subscribe: [email protected]
List archive: http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
List Guidelines: http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php