Re: [xml-dev] XML's place in the world

From
Simon St.Laurent <>
To
"" <>
Date
2009-11-12T17:08:56Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] XML's place in the world
Peter Hunsberger wrote:
> The one place I still see a need for such types of XML is when you're
> doing cross domain integration and signatures, encryption,
> authentication, etc. become part of the exchange process.  JSON
> doesn't seem to have all the pieces lined up to push XML (SOAP or
> otherwise) out of this space (yet)?

That's an excellent point, especially on the data interchange front. 
Much of that infrastructure is tightly bound to XML as well, so isn't 
easily replaced.

> There's a lot of capability that has been built around XML that still
> needs to be replicated in the other spaces so I think it would be
> premature to declare any kind of overwhelming trend.  At this point I
> perceive what is going on as more as people reacting to the flaws in
> the current XML world and testing out alternate strategies to see if
> they do any better.  Whether these alternate strategies will, in the
> long run, grow to have as many capabilities (and flaws) as XML remains
> to be seen?

Fair enough.  I think another way of putting it is that XML is slowly 
losing its status as the default format in fields where it once seemed 
(rightly or wrongly) the obvious answer.

-- 
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/