Re: [xml-dev] Marketplace XML Vocabularies

From
Mike Sokolov <>
To
Michael Kay <>
Date
2010-01-05T15:00:50Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Marketplace XML Vocabularies
On 01/05/2010 04:38 AM, Michael Kay wrote:
>> I claim that there is no intrinsic meaning in an XML
>> document, but rather that external knowledge is applied to
>> infer meaning.
>>      
> I agree.
>    
>> This is very different from RDF, where explicit URIs are
>> used,
>>      
> I disagree. The URI http://www.ibm.com/plans-for-new-supercomputer.xml has
> no more intrinsic meaning than the tag<i>.
>
>    
I tend to want to agree, but eventually this line of argument will lead 
to the erosion of all meaning, or at least all "intrinsic" meaning.  Is 
that your point?  If not, what sort of construct do you think does have 
intrinsic meaning?  Would we include the XML Schema 1.1 specification?  
(How about XML Schema 1.0 :) ?

-Mike