Re: [xml-dev] XML, what to avoid

From
Simon St.Laurent <>
To
Max Toro <>
Date
2010-11-15T16:10:15Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] XML, what to avoid
On 11/15/10 10:57 AM, Max Toro wrote:
> Hello list,
> I'd like to know if there are XML technologies/practices that are best
> avoided because there's a general consensus or empirical knowledge
> that they are:
>
> - obsolete, outdated, replaced by something newer/better
> - unimplemented, unsupported
> - bad for performance
> - bad for long-term maintainability
> - bad for usability
> - bad for extensibility
> - other

Heh.  I'm pretty certain we'd need more context to be able to say 
anything definitive.

About the only thing I think I can safely say is obsolete is NOTATION, 
but I'm pretty sure someone's using it for important work.

10-year old recommendations that I think still hold up - just for the 
core of XML 1.0 plus namespaces - are at:

http://www.simonstl.com/articles/cxmlspec.txt

Those focus more on what to use than what NOT to use, though.

-- 
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/