Original Message From: "Michael Fuller"
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:00:26AM -0400, Rick Yorgason wrote:
>> I mean, we're talking about a language that has its roots in *browsers*.
>
> XML does not have its roots in browsers.
> It has its roots in SGML (actually, XML *is* SGML) ...
Is XML with namespaces still SGML? I don't know, but I'm guessing not.
Either way, for my money, the time to be concerned about SGML heritage has
long since past. XML should stand on its own now.
> In fact, with HTML 5, the HTML community has taken a sharp
> turn _away_ from the relationship with SGML/XML.
To me the evolution of HTML is an illustration that things can change and
evolve and still be coped with. It may not be pretty, but I imagine that if
HTML had not moved beyond 1.0 all web sites would be Flash now :-)
Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info
Twitter: http://twitter.com/petecordell