Re: [xml-dev] [ANNOUNCE] New MicroXML draft available

From
John Cowan <>
To
Stephen D Green <>
Date
2011-07-14T15:50:46Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] [ANNOUNCE] New MicroXML draft available
Stephen D Green scripsit:

> Looking back to the seminal blog/spec ('blec'?!) from James Clark and
> the comments below it, it looks from your comment there John that the
> main benefit from adding general prefixed attributes (not just xml:*)
> to MicroXML is to be able to use xsi:type
>
> <cost xsi:type="xsd:float">29.95</cost>

Well, xsi:type leads to xsi:nil, and there are other examples about.  To
do HTML5 polyglot (one of James's explicit intentions), you need SVG,
and to do SVG you need xlink:href and friends.

I don't expect namespaced attributes to be at all common, and I'd
leave them out of any MicroXML tutorial, but really they aren't that
complicated: only 318 words of the 5284 words in the current MicroXML
draft, or 6%, are devoted to namespaced attributes, and removing them
from MicroLark would save maybe ten lines of code.

-- 
You annoy me, Rattray!  You disgust me!         John Cowan
You irritate me unspeakably!  Thank Heaven,     
I am a man of equable temper, or I should       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
scarcely be able to contain myself before
your mocking visage.            --Stalky imitating Macrea