Re: [xml-dev] Style, Substance and Typing in Schemas

From
Andrew Welch <>
To
David Lee <>
Date
2011-10-12T10:41:34Z
ID
<CAEG2duDrNMxfLw2KkUwfBdJvoCoNoO77Jd8aZpQy7-sEF+=>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Style, Substance and Typing in Schemas
> With absolutely NO knowledge whatsoever, I will take a poke in the dark.

:) that doesn't stop me either...

> Since in Java,  URI is not a subclass of String,  it make sense that anyURI in XSD should not be a subclass of String.

That's probably (see above) because you don't want URI inheriting all
the methods in String.

>
> More abstractly, I could see the argument that anyURI by nearly coincidence is a string representation of a URI but really is its own structured type  (protocol + host + file part + query ... )  similar as one might say  a Point object could have a String representation "X,Y" but that doesn't make it a subclass of String, or even integer could be but isn't a subclass of string.
>

Yeah that seems reasonable... what I don't understand is why '' (empty
quotes) is a legal xs:string and xs:anyURI, when is that useful?
Every time I end up using xs:token or a custom 'non-empty-string'
type...



--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com