Re: [xml-dev] Topic Maps - current state of the art?

From
<>
To
Stephen Cameron <>, "" <>
Date
2013-10-20T01:05:20Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Topic Maps - current state of the art?
At 2013-10-20 11:14 +1100, Stephen Cameron wrote:
>Topic Maps are something I have just discovered!

They've been around since the SGML days.  A useful and powerful concept.

>Is this because I've not been listening, or, are they something 
>thats been tried and found wanting? A second-hand book 
><http://www.amazon.com/XML-Topic-Maps-Creating-Using/dp/0201749602/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382227843&sr=1-1&keywords=topic+maps>XML 
>Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web is available 
>on <http://amazon.com>amazon.com for $0.01. You cannot get cheaper, 
>so this might be an indication of the later.

Ummmm ... I gather from its designer/implementer that information 
maintenance for the entire US nuclear arsenal is managed using Topic Maps:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.109.5995&rep=rep1&type=pdf

And I heard that the entire Norwegian public education curriculum was 
something else being managed using Topic Maps ... a search just now 
found a reference to that here:

http://www.lornet.ca/portals/10/i2lor07_proceedings/monday/papers/1-1.pdf

>Thanks for any insights you can offer.

I think it is just a matter of the right technology for the right 
kind and scope of problem.  You could write a topic map to manage a 
book index, but it is a bit of overkill so I'm not sure anyone would do it.

Disclaimer: I was on the committee and a member of the original XML 
Topic Maps effort.  Note that the role XML plays in Topic Maps is 
just as a serialization of the conceptual Topic Map that contains all 
of the relationships.

I hope this helps.

. . . . . . . . . . Ken


--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL & code list classes: Melbourne, AU May 2014 |
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting and instructor-led training |
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm |
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/ |
G. Ken Holman                   mailto: |
Google+ profile: https://plus.google.com/116832879756988317389/about |
Legal business disclaimers:    http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal |