Re: [xml-dev] Transformative Programming: Flow-based, functional, and more

From
Simon St.Laurent <>
To
"" <>
Date
2013-10-16T18:38:53Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Transformative Programming: Flow-based, functional, and more
On 10/16/13 2:11 PM, Rushforth, Peter wrote:
>   > And with that the ability to debug in the small, to have edges that
> are very strict but middle pieces that are very flexable ... but still
> defined interfaces.
>
> I've said this before here, so I don't want to go too deep with this
> now, but REST standardizes the interface.  If XML defined common access
> to the interface (aka hypermedia affordances)
>
> (across *all* of XML, not just XML with namespaces), the "small pieces,
> loosely joined" could be XML.

I reflected a little bit on REST in the piece:

"I’ve also pondered what role REST may play in these conversations. The 
PUT and DELETE methods are, of course, all about side-effects, and not 
so much about flow. I don’t yet have a good answer here."

My general sense is that XML+REST is wonderful stuff, but more likely an 
entry (or exit) point than the communications method used throughout 
this kind of flow.  I would be happy if REST - especially with a 
hypermedia approach - would be sufficient, but it doesn't quite feel 
like a neat fit with a pipeline-centric model.

I'm sure it could be made to work, but I'm not sure it should be made to 
work.

I also have mixed feelings about hypermedia affordances *in* XML. Mostly 
I'm wary because too many hypermedia conversations seem to reach a point 
where everyone thinks they agree about what things mean and what things 
do, and then realize that the agreement isn't that robust.

Roughly, I like the idea, but don't trust myself for liking it.

(I should note that hypermedia conversations were another piece 
contributing to my sense that this model is coming together for real 
this time, just not in as direct a way.)

Thanks,
-- 
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/