Re: [xml-dev] Transformative Programming: Flow-based, functional, and more
On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Peter Hunsberger <[email protected]> wrote:
--
The Verb/Resource model of REST is not a simple tuple pair, unless you referring to PUT / GET parameterization which is probably a perfect example of why such interfaces are so error prone. The rest (um, no pun intended) of HTTP carries with it headers and Mime types pointing to varying levels of formal specification as to the resource contents with varying success.
I don't understand why you think that the fact that e.g. HTTP has headers or uses a controlled vocabulary in the form of MIME prevents it from being a simple tuple-space-style architecture. Having worked with tuple-space-style architectures before the Web (e.g. Linda derivatives) I don't see much great distinction. I *do* see a huge distinction, on the other hand from DCE/CORBA-style tightly-bound cross-application architectures, again having done a lot of work on those as well.
I believe that REST is precisely in line with the idea of loose coupling between apps. However, as has been pointed out, scalability becomes the tricky problem even when you've architected things the right way.
Uche Ogbuji http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira http://zepheira.com
Founding Partner, Zepheira http://zepheira.com
Author, Ndewo, Colorado http://uche.ogbuji.net/ndewo/
Founding editor, Kin Poetry Journal http://wearekin.org
Editor & Contributor, TNB http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/author/uogbuji/
http://copia.ogbuji.net http://www.linkedin.com/in/ucheogbuji http://twitter.com/uogbuji
Founding editor, Kin Poetry Journal http://wearekin.org
Editor & Contributor, TNB http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/author/uogbuji/
http://copia.ogbuji.net http://www.linkedin.com/in/ucheogbuji http://twitter.com/uogbuji