Re: [xml-dev] Parsing XML with anything but

From
Steve Newcomb <>
To
Date
2013-12-10T14:28:35Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Parsing XML with anything but
On 12/09/2013 10:07 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> I admit to using regular expressions to process
> XML at times myself, although I also suppose that since I haven't
> received a whole lot of introductory XML training I'm poorly trained in
> XML...

Me, too.

Experience has taught me that if you need to hack together a suboptimal
parser in a short time for *any* language, the use of regexps in
combination with other logic is quite a reasonable way to proceed.  It
gets the job done quickly, and in an easily-maintained manner.

However, I wouldn't do that for XML; there's just no need.

For pure XML-qua-XML, I'm also using Richard Tobin's RXP
(http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk) in the context of pyRXPU
(http://www.reportlab.com/software/opensource/pyrxp/).  I like these
tools a lot.  Very hackable, too.

I'm also still using James Clark's nsgmls in actual production (SGML
never quite went away, even in files that have been presumably migrated
to XML).