Re: [xml-dev] Software lock in?

From
Norman Gray <>
To
Shlomi Fish <>
Date
2017-03-22T21:50:25Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Software lock in?
Shlomi and all, hello.

On 22 Mar 2017, at 14:11, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> I don't see how this is particularly related to XML or developing 
> using XML. It
> seems offtopic here and there should be more appropriate forums to 
> discuss it.
> Or am I missing anything?

For what it's worth, I don't think this story is particularly related to 
XML; but then I don't think that xml-dev is particularly related to XML 
either.

I didn't think the John Deare story was obviously off-topic for this 
list.

I now know a large fraction of what I need to know about the 
technicalities of XML as such.  I still read xml-dev because a good 
fraction of the people on it have spent a long time thinking carefully 
about structured information, and are willing to talk about that through 
the prism of XML.  Thus 'xml-dev' is, for me, a list about structured 
information, not about XML.

(Which is to say: the pointy-bracket-thing has been the least 
interesting thing about XML for the last 20 years).

All the best,

Norman


-- 
Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk
SUPA School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK