Re: [xml-dev] How to represent a "cost" in XML?

From
Mukul Gandhi <>
To
"Costello, Roger L." <>
Date
2018-09-27T06:00:53Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] How to represent a "cost" in XML?
Dear Roger,
   I find both of following ok.

<Cost currency="USD">8.95</Cost>

or 

<Cost>
   <Currency>USD</Currency>
   <Value>8.95</Value>
</Cost>

(these are my personal preferences)

I also need to look at Ken's suggestions!

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 3:14 AM Costello, Roger L. <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Folks,

 

I would like to represent in XML the cost of something.

 

Here’s one way to represent it:

 

<Cost currency="USD">8.95</Cost>

 

If you didn’t want to use attributes (or mixed content), how would you represent it?

 

Would you represent it like this:

 

<Cost>
   
<Currency>USD</Currency>
   
<Value>8.95</Value>
</Cost>

 

I do not like that representation because it introduces a fake <Value> element.

 

Perhaps you would represent it by turning things inside out:

 

<Value>
   
<Currency>USD</Currency>
   
<Cost>8.95</Cost>
</Value>

 

I’m not sure I even know what that means.

 

Sigh.

 

Any economists out there? Please do tell: what is “cost”?

 

Cost seems to have (at least) two components: a number and an indication of what system of money the number is based on. The “system of money” is the currency. What about the number; what is it? What label do you give to the number? When you talk about the number, what words do you use?

 

/Roger



--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi