Re: [xml-dev] What is syntax lifting?

From
Rick Jelliffe <>
To
"Costello, Roger L." <>
Date
2019-09-04T23:32:32Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] What is syntax lifting?
There used to be terms &alpha;-lifting and &beta;-lifting around late last century.  Gavin Nicols would remember the exact meanings, I bet. (I think it comes from symbolic programming/program transformation disciplines, so maths/CS not linguistics.)

IIRC they relate to  transforming between, say
       <animal  pet="dog" />
       <pet>dog</pet>
       <dog />

IIRC  alpha lifting is just a promotion/rotation/elesion of names while beta lifting is converting values to names or splitting elements, or vice versa, or backwards, but I have no confidence.

On Thu, 5 Sep. 2019, 02:27 Costello, Roger L., <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Folks,

Recently I heard this term "syntax lifting" or sometimes just "lifting."

What do they mean?

/Roger

_______________________________________________________________________

XML-DEV is a publicly archived, unmoderated list hosted by OASIS
to support XML implementation and development. To minimize
spam in the archives, you must subscribe before posting.

[Un]Subscribe/change address: http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/
Or unsubscribe: [email protected]
subscribe: [email protected]
List archive: http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
List Guidelines: http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php