Re: [xml-dev] Data versus data format?

From
Rhodri James <>
To
Date
2019-11-05T18:32:20Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Data versus data format?
On 05/11/2019 18:24, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> 
> I seek your thoughts on the difference (if any) between data and data formats.
> 
> Here's how I see it. I could be wrong.
> 
> Data and data formats are different. I believe that data formats is a subset of data:
> 
> [cid:[email protected]]
> 
> 
> I think of data formats as a format that has been standardized, either by a standards organization (W3C, ISO, IETF, etc.) or by a corporation. Data, on the other hand, is any format: single-time-use formats, quickly cobbled together formats, 1-1 data exchange formats between a small group, and also standardized formats.
> 
> Do you agree that data is a broader, more general concept than data format?

Mu.

Data is information.  It has a format, be it standardised or ad hoc.

Data formats are information about data, i.e. are also data, and also 
have a format, and so round the philosophical loop.

Given your terms, your question is unanswerable since you are comparing 
things of different categories.  Given my definitions we have a chicken 
and egg situation, so it's still unanswerable.

Any more for any more?

-- 
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd