Next in thread → Next in month →

Re: [xml-dev] Data versus data format?

From
Stephen D Green <>
To
"Costello, Roger L." <>
Date
2019-11-06T08:19:39Z
ID
<CAA0AChVRZVKcBkVCc1qHBXJHXtMif8VY7JHvvpMgHJM=>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Data versus data format?
If data formats are metadata and metadata is data about data then if metadata is not data surely it is not data about data.

On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 at 18:25, Costello, Roger L. <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Folks,

 

I seek your thoughts on the difference (if any) between data and data formats.

 

Here’s how I see it. I could be wrong.

 

Data and data formats are different. I believe that data formats is a subset of data:

 

 

 

I think of data formats as a format that has been standardized, either by a standards organization (W3C, ISO, IETF, etc.) or by a corporation. Data, on the other hand, is any format: single-time-use formats, quickly cobbled together formats, 1-1 data exchange formats between a small group, and also standardized formats.

 

Do you agree that data is a broader, more general concept than data format?

 

/Roger

--
----
Stephen D Green
Next in thread → Next in month →