← Prev in month ← Prev in thread

What is the relationship between transforming, mapping, and filtering?

From
Roger L Costello <>
To
"" <>
Date
2021-08-31T17:53:13Z
ID
<>
Thread
What is the relationship between transforming, mapping, and filtering?
Hi Folks,

How do you define those terms? Are they synonymous? Is one a subset of another?

By "mapping" I mean populating XML instances of one data standard with data from another data standard. For example, I am currently mapping a military air navigation data standard to a civilian air navigation data standard.

By "filtering" I mean performing actions on data such as redacting, fuzzing, and zeroing. One could think of these actions as mapping: if I fuzz a lat/long location, I am essentially mapping the location to another location.

By "transforming" I mean all the kinds of things you can do with XSLT.

Is filtering a subset of mapping? Is mapping a subset of transforming?

/Roger
← Prev in month ← Prev in thread