Re: [xml-dev] What does it mean to say that XML was over-engineered?

From
Simon St.Laurent <>
To
Date
2021-09-15T18:51:37Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] What does it mean to say that XML was over-engineered?
On 9/15/2021 11:35 AM, Peter Flynn wrote:
> I am not
> convinced that the campaign for "simplification" of XML is a viable
> candidate for our attention.

I don't think a campaign is likely.  I think, though, that 
simplification has already happened in a lot of use cases.  I probably 
hear more about it because I encourage it, but people definitely seem 
comfortable skipping namespaces and using the simplest possible 
schemas.  Stuff that either runs through W3C XML Schema processors but 
uses 5% of the features, or Schematron, or such.

The last major campaign - SML - pretty well succeeded, if only for 
creating YAML and encouraging JSON.

I still host these two remnants of past work:

http://simonstl.com/articles/cxmlspec.txt

http://monasticxml.org/

Neither gets piles of traffic, but the log files suggest that it's 
steady, mostly search-driven.

Mostly I just talk about "markup" these days, and don't care if it's 
HTML, XML, or something else that marks up text.  (Markdown and ASCIIdoc 
are mostly okay too.)

Thanks,
Simon