Re: [xml-dev] which class of programming languages, XML Schema language belongs

From
Simon St.Laurent <>
To
Date
2022-03-11T12:36:58Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] which class of programming languages, XML Schema language belongs
I've pretty much given up any formal criteria for programming languages 
and programmer titles.  It is all in what we do with it, not something 
intrinsic to computing.

That said, Turing-completeness is a fun topic, and frequently yields 
results that aren't what the programming language purists want.

https://accodeing.com/blog/2015/css3-proven-to-be-turing-complete

Thanks,
Simon

On 3/11/2022 7:29 AM, Pete Cordell wrote:
> On 11/03/2022 08:48, Michael Kay wrote:
>> Well, I would say that XSD is indeed a "formal computer language", 
>> but not a "programming language"; I don't think you can describe 
>> something as a programming language unless it is Turing-complete.
>>
>> I don't know of any universally accepted categorisation scheme for 
>> formal computer languages, and without such a scheme you can't say 
>> where a particular language fits; but it's certainly reasonable to 
>> describe XSD as a constraint specification language or as a data 
>> definition language (if indeed those two categories are distinct).
>
> A related perma-topic is "Is HTML a programming language?"
>
> I'm in the "No, because it is not Turing-complete" camp (for example, 
> it has no conditionals) but it does instruct a computer to do things 
> and so others say it is.
>
> I'd say if "programming language" was a spectrum, HTML would be more 
> of a programming language than XSD.
>
> To add more confusion, for most programming languages such as C++ and 
> Java, it's very specific what the language tells the computer to do.
>
> With XSD, the XSD can be used in many ways by a computer.  Does that 
> suggest it is "something else"?
>
> Pete.