On 21/12/2022 13:25, Roger L Costello wrote:
> I have a program that processes XML files in a folder. Some of the
> XML documents contain data about a car, [...] At some point
I think, the wrong point.
> the program reads in that XML document and begins processing it. The
> objective of processing is to output the license plate number if the
> car is stolen and "" (not stolen) otherwise. However, the document
> does not contain the necessary information to make that decision.
> The information to make the decision arrives some time later,
This looks like a case of putting the cart before the horse.
> So the desired processing behavior is this:
The conventional sequence of processing would be more likely to start by
processing a police report. It looks up the car in the documents in the
folder about cars. If there is a match, then perform whatever action is
required, then go onto the next police report until they are all
finished, then stop and wait for more police reports to arrive.
I see no benefit in processing this back-to-front.
Peter