[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: [OASIS Issue Tracker] Commented: (OFFICE-2751) 5.8: Need syntax forexternal references to unsaved documents
[ http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE-2751?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=21868#action_21868 ]
Dennis Hamilton commented on OFFICE-2751:
-----------------------------------------
Eric, questions for you:
So, I have a workbook open, and I want to create a reference to something in another workbook. Then I want to save the workbook I have open (even close it) before I have ever saved the referenced one. I might save it, I might crash, I might put it somewhere unexpected, but whatever I do, the workbook I saved first can't have any reliable way of knowing where the referenced one actually ended up.
How does that work now? Do you create a pseudo IRI and then let the consumer of the first workbook hunt for it when it can't resolve it? Do you create a special IRI that has the consumer of the first workbook say, whoops, I need to know where this is? And ask the user for help? Or offer its own recently-used/-saved documents list as a possibility?
What happens if the referenced workbook was opened from a file and that location was used in the reference from the first workbook, but then the referenced workbook was put somewhere else using Save As ... ? Or moved later or whatever.
Aren't these all flavors of basically the same situation, except that in the first scenario you have to intentionally plant a guess than in the reference?
I'm curious why there is anything special needed beyond making up IRIs and then attempting to resolve them when that's needed.
> 5.8: Need syntax for external references to unsaved documents
> -------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Key: OFFICE-2751
> URL: http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE-2751
> Project: OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) TC
> Issue Type: Bug
> Components: Needs Discussion, OpenFormula
> Affects Versions: ODF 1.2 CD 05
> Reporter: Eric Patterson
> Assignee: Eric Patterson
> Fix For: ODF 1.2 CD 06
>
>
> Excel has the ability to create references to unsaved documents or unvalidated references. OpenFormula does not appear to specify a syntax for this type of reference.
--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
If you think it was sent incorrectly contact one of the administrators: http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/secure/Administrators.jspa
-
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]