   RE: [dita-fa-edboard] Progress?

  • To: "Scott Prentice" <sp@leximation.com>,<dita-fa-edboard@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [dita-fa-edboard] Progress?
  • From: "JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:45:42 -0600

Hi Scott,
Yes, we missed today's meeting only because the OASIS staff just
returned from the UK. We are scheduling a meeting for early next week to
review the progress of the implementation. Then, we want to develop a
regular meeting time for the editorial board.

I am concerned about urging people to visit your site only because it
has limited content and does not clearly refer people to the XML cover
pages, the OASIS official site, or the IBM Developer Site as containing
"somewhat official" content. It also implies that only the tools listed
support DITA or the only articles available are the one's you've listed.

I know that you haven't had an opportunity to include more content on
your site and want people to submit content but it could be misleading.
It may look to new visitors as if you are promoting certain
organizations or individuals with the references. We're trying on the
dita.xml.org to be very careful and as inclusive as we can be. For that
reason, we've already conducted an extensive content inventory and have
a proposed initial set of content with which to populate the new site.

I've haven't heard more from Mary about the status of the development at
this point, but I'm assuming that work has already started at OASIS,
based on her requirements, and we'll hear more next week.

We're all anxious to get something online but at the same time, we want
to be very fair to the entire community of contributors. Of course,
you're free to advertise in any way you want, and I don't mean to
suggest that you shouldn't. As I'm sure you know, there's a lot of
misinformation already out there. I just want to be certain we don't add
to it as we plan the content and approach for dita.xml.org

JoAnn Hackos

Director
The Center for Information Development Management
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com