From: Scott Prentice [mailto:sp@leximation.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 8:59 AM
To: webmaster@oasis-open.org
Cc: dita-fa-edboard@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [dita-fa-edboard] Reminder: dita-fa-edboard list is public

OK .. this is a hot button of mine, and I need to speak up about this.
Please accept this as a constructive criticism, and not an angry flame.
:)

I read the guidelines and I see nothing that explains why email
addresses
are not obfuscated or removed from posts. This is standard practice on
most modern maillists and is the responsible thing to do. As far as I
know, everyone has to be registered in some way to be able to post to
the
OASIS lists, therefore, the person's name should be enough of an
attribution. I realize that even on lists that do remove/munge email
addresses, it does happen that an address will make it through in plain
text, this is understandable. But having an archive of lists that are
known to be chock full of addresses in plain text just encourages them
be harvested.

I maintain a separate address for use on lists, and can filter that
address or dump it altogether if the spam level gets too high. This is
the
best way I've found to deal with this inevitable problem, but it would
be
really nice if OASIS could make an attempt at protecting its members'
addresses from being harvested. These are the only lists that I'm on
that
this is an issue.

I'd be glad to work with the webmaster to help resolve this issue.

Thanks .. now back to your regularly scheduled programming.  :)

...scott