From: Robin Cover [mailto:robin@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 11:41 AM
To: Scott Prentice
Cc: webmaster@oasis-open.org; dita-fa-edboard@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [dita-fa-edboard] Reminder: dita-fa-edboard list is public

Thanks, Scott.

OASIS Staff is studying "the spam problem", and the idea of email
address obfuscation in archives is certainly one of many proposed
solutions.  I will make your message available to the OASIS
team members.

Until now, I think management believes (beginning at the level of
the OASIS Board) that public accountability trumps the
individual's (possible) right to be involved in standards
activity as a anonymous identity.

For example, the OASIS TC Process [1] requires the publication of
email addresses in several contexts, including the names and
email addresses of TC proposers [2], names and email
addressed of TC Discussion Lists proposers, the name and email
address of the TC Chair or co-Chairs as well as other positions
such as secretary, editor, etc.  Several other policies also
require that email addresses be made public: on specifications,
etc.

The motivation is easy to understand: personal names, even when
joined with company affiliations, are not sufficient to
unambiguously identify a person.  An email address has global
scope by virtue of the protocol.

Thus, similarly, at W3C:

persistently accessible repositories of e-mail communications
regarding the various activities and operations of the W3C
and its contributors...

While the W3C is sensitive to the need for protecting
personal information from exploitation by spammers, we
cannot engage in the revision of the archives for the
purpose of decreasing one's vulnerability to Spam.

Archives are historical documents, not personal records.
If a sender posts to a Public forum, it should be understood
the information will be publicly available in perpetuity.

In addition to the above -- the need to ensure public
auditability, transparency, and openness -- many of the people
I have taked to about the matter do not believe that
obfuscating email addresses is the correct (or best) point
at which to attack the email spam problem.  For that reason,
the company web sites of (? unstudied) all or most all
major companies contain viewable -- not obfuscated --
email addresses of authors and forum participants.  All
web pages can be screen-scraped for email addresses
(harvesting).  Trying to prevent publicly visible email
addresses is not (arguably) the best, or effective,
strategy, if I am to believe experts I have talked to.

OASIS will most certainly be taking steps to improve
(anti-) spam technologies.  I don't know whether editing
the archives (or otherwise obfuscating email addresses)
will be part of the solution.

Thanks for your comments on the topic.

Robin Cover

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php