From: Seth Aaronson [mailto:seth@amsetsoftware.com]
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 3:23 PM
To: Carol Geyer
Cc: Greg Rundlett
Subject: manually creating anchor tags

Hi Carol,

Here is the explanation for adding and using anchor tags.  As an
example, we'll create a top anchor at the top of the the about XML.org
page.  The url for the page is http://dita.xml.org/about

1. Select the edit tab and scroll to the section of the page with the
editor for body.
2. Create an anchor called top at  the very top of the text using the
fckeditor anchor dialog.
3.  Move to some where else in the text where you want to put a link
back to
the top of the text.	For this example, we'll put the link after the
last
sentence in the Registration section of the text.
4.Create a new blank link, and type the word 'top'.
5. Highlight top and select the link icon.
6. From the protocol drop down, select <other> 7. In the URL type in
/node/1034/#top 8. Press OK.
9. You now have a link back to the top anchor.
10. Preview to test.

#7 requires some explanation.  The problem that Drupal has with anchors
is that it doesn't put the whole path in so the anchor always links back
to the home page.  To get around this, we have to costruct the URL
ourselves.  The
url for the About page is /node/1034   An anchor is specified with a '#'
and
then the name of the anchor.  So to create an anchor on some other page,
you have to look at the url in the browser address window.  Leave out
the 'dita.xml.org' and 'edit' parts. What ever is in the middle is the
part that you want to use.

If you look at the about page before you start editing, you may notice
that the url is 'http://dita.xml,org/about.  'about' is an alias for
'/node/1034'.
Once you start editing, the alias is not visible.  So in my example you
could also used '/about/#top' for step #7.

I went through the posting on drupal.org about this problem.  It is very
long.
It looks like the problem will be fixed in version 4.7.  Unfortunately,
at this time the fix breaks a lot of existing content.  The drupal
developers are trying to come up with a script that will fix existing
content but don't seem to have gotten it quite right yet.

Seth