   Drupal glossary module test...

  • To: dita-fa-edboard@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Drupal glossary module test...
  • From: Scott Prentice <sp@leximation.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:50:13 -0700

Hi...

I finally got around to testing the glossary module with respect to any
interactions with our existing taxonomy tweaks (since the glossary
module leverages taxonomies) .. based on fairly limited testing, I see
no problems that would be due to our modified taxonomy module.

The glossary module is fairly easy to set up .. after installing the
files, you enable it and create a new vocabulary to hold your glossary
terms. The glossary terms are entered as taxonomy terms and the glossary
term's definition is the entered as the taxonomy term's description. You
set up how the terms are rendered under the "input formats" admin area.
You can specify that each term be followed by some formatted text, or an
icon, or that the term be formatted with a dotted underline. You can see
the three types on the following page ..

    http://iroots.net/drupaltest/

One thing to note about this is that once enabled and the tagging has
been applied, if you go back and change the formatting in the admin
area, it doesn't seem to update the tagging in the content unless you
edit and modify each node. I'm seeing inconsistent handling of this, so
it may eventually fix itself, just something to be aware of. I'd
recommend the underlining of terms, so be sure to set the "Term
Indicator" to "Replace with acronym link" when you first set this up.

I'm not sure if there's a meeting scheduled for today (I thought there
was, but haven't seen a recent email) .. if there is, I won't be able to
make it.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Glossary module (for
your reading pleasure, I've included the install info from the readme,
below).

...scott

 From the README.txt file ..

Installation
------------

1. Copy the glossary.module, the glossary.css and optionally the
glossary.gif
   files to the Drupal modules/ directory. Drupal should automatically
   detect the module. Enable the module on the modules' administration page.

2. Glossary terms are managed as vocabularies within the taxonomy.module.
   To get started with glossary, create a new vocabulary on the
   taxonomy administration page. The vocabulary need not be associated
   with any modules, though you can attach detailed description to terms
   by adding nodes to the terms, so it might be a good idea to associate
   the vocabulary with the "story" module. Add a few terms to the
vocabulary.
   The term title should be the glossary entry, the description should be
   the explanation of that term. You can make use of the hierarchy,
   synonym, and related terms features. These features impact the display
   of the glossary when viewed in an overview.

3. Next, you have to setup the input formats you want to use the
glossary with.
   At the input formats page select an input format to configure. Select the
   Glossary filter checkbox and press Save configuration. Now select the
   configure filters tab and select the vocabulary and apply other settings.

4. If you would like to use the glossary icon, a default one is included
   with this module.