RE: [dita-fa-edboard] FW: Information Management News Volume 6, Issue 6

Title: CIDM Information Management News Volume 6, Issue 6
copy for all

From: JoAnn Hackos [mailto:joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 2:47 PM
To: dita-fa-edboard@lists.xml.org
Subject: [dita-fa-edboard] FW: Information Management News Volume 6, Issue 6

Here’s the “glue” article.

JoAnn

From: Lisa Finger
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 3:44 PM
To: JoAnn Hackos
Subject: Information Management News Volume 6, Issue 6

   CIDM

Information Management News
Volume 6, Issue 6
June 2006

A monthly e-newsletter from The Center for Information-Development Management (CIDM)
JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD, CIDM Director
http://www.infomanagementcenter.com

If you would like to receive the CIDM e-newsletter in plain-text format, visit http://www.infomanagementcenter.com/subscribe.htm and choose the plain-text format.

News & Events

Best Practices 2006Registration is now open for the 2006 Best Practices conference to be held September 18–20, 2006, in San Diego, California. More information on the program will be coming soon!

Comtech and Vasont Webinar

Join us for this free webinar hosted by Vasont Systems. For more information and to register, please visit the Vasont web site.

Comtech Services Releases DITA User Guide

We are accepting orders for Introduction to DITA: A Basic User Guide to the Darwin Information Typing Architecture. Order your copy today!

Host a Workshop

Organizations that host a workshop in the JoAnn Hackos Workshop Series receive four registrations for the price of one. Find out how to become a host.

JoAnn Hackos and Jen Linton to Speak at X-Pubs 2006

For information on these presentations and discounts offered at X-Pubs 2006, read the announcement.

LISA Asia Forum

Read about JoAnn's presentation and LISA's Asia Forum at www.lisa.org.

Upcoming Workshops

CIDM sponsors the following workshops:

Minimalism: Creating Manuals That People Can Use
JoAnn Hackos, PhD,
July 11–12
    King of Prussia, PA

DITA: Getting Started
Jen Linton,
July 25–26
    San Diego, CA

XML for Writers
Kylene Bruski,
September 12–13
    San Diego, CA

For more information on these and other workshops, visit the JoAnn Hackos Workshop Series web site.

Do We Really Need All that Glue?
JoAnn Hackos, PhD
CIDM Director

www.infomanagementcenter.com

The Technical Committee for the OASIS DITA Standard has been having an interesting debate this month. The debate concerns the need for "glue text" in technical manuals. Glue text is defined as transitional information intended to inform readers of what has come before or comes after a particular procedure, description, or explanation. In topic-oriented authoring, which forms the basis for the DITA Model, transitional text has become problematic. If the goal is to write standalone topics that may be used in more than one context, where does one put the transitional text? Does transitional text belong in a topic by itself? Should it be built into a task, concept, or reference topic? Does transitional text belong in the map so that it does not encumber the standalone topics?

Read the article

More articles

·                     Estimating, Tracking, and Scheduling—Dawn Stevens

·                     Advanced Process Mapping–Architectures and Modularity—Vesa Purho

Estimating, Tracking, and Scheduling
Dawn Stevens, Jeppesen

I love numbers! They tell me so many things, and I can use them to do so many things. For example, numbers tell me when my project will be done and how much it will cost. Numbers point out that I'm over budget but also help me justify why. The manipulation of numbers can help me achieve pretty much anything I need as I run my department. I might even be able to convince some of you that 2+2 = 5 for large values of 2.

Read the article

Advanced Process Mapping–Architectures and Modularity
Vesa Purho, Nokia

In my three previous articles, I went through the basic concepts of swimlane process mapping. Now it is time to introduce some advanced concepts. Just like information and applications, processes can also have architectures which can be modular.

Read the article

Feedback
Have you found this issue useful? Got a great story idea? We'd like your input and suggestions. Please contact nikki.gjestvang@comtech-serv.com about any comments you may have.

Important Subscription Information
Subscribe to the e-newsletterUnsubscribe from the e-newsletterChange your email address

The Center for Information-Development Management
The Center for Information-Development Management (CIDM) is an organization of information-development, training, and support managers across the United States and internationally. The CIDM facilitates the sharing of information among the most skilled managers in the information industry. For more information, visit www.infomanagmentcenter.com.

©2006 by The Center for Information-Development Management. All rights reserved.
Tel. (303) 232-7586  Fax. (303) 232-0659