Re: [dita-fa-edboard] FW: Comments from Michael Priestley re. front pageideas

re 1:
I think separate sections for posts, news, and blog entries would probably be most useful if easy to do

re 2:
http://dita.xml.org/blog is the target of the "Blogs" link on the masthead. It provides a chronological summary of blog posts - basically the "recent blog posts" or "blog headlines" but with more info (like who made the posting).
What I would rather see is an actual list of blogs, not blog posts - ie this list:
http://dita.xml.org/siteblogs
(although it ain't pretty :-( )

For someone to get to my (woefully un-updated) blog right now, they need to:
1. click Blogs
2. click "View blogs by name" (it's in smaller font under the title, right after "Post new blog entry")
3. find my name and click on it

That's kind of obscure :-( I suspect a lot of people right now think there is a single blog for the site, to which anyone can post.

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Carol Geyer" <carol.geyer@oasis-open.org>

10/12/2006 06:10 PM

<dita-fa-edboard@lists.xml.org>
cc
Subject
[dita-fa-edboard] FW: Comments from Michael Priestley re. front page ideas

1. I think Michael's suggestion about promoting new Forum posts is great, but
if we add a section for "Recent activity" or "Recent posts" to the homepage,
should it

A) include the 10 (or so) most recent news, blogs, and forum posts under one
subhead
B) include the 10 (or so) posts of any kind (including new product listings,
case studies, etc.)
C) include only the Forum posts and be a third subhead under "News headlines"
and "Blog headlines"
D) include only the Forum posts and replace the "Blog headlines" section, since
recent blog posts appear in the right column of all pages anyway.

I believe any of the above are possible technically and won't take much time.

2. I'm not sure I fully understand Michael's comments, but I will put this on
our to-do list. Seth may not get to it soon, however, as his time (and our
budget) is limited. Maybe a future Drupal version or a new blog module will
give us what we need without paying Seth for more customization. If anyone
wants to look into that on drupal.org, please (please) go for it.

--c