From: Bob Doyle [mailto:bobdoyle@skybuilders.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 2:17 PM
To: DITA Editorial Board
Subject: [dita-fa-edboard] Gateway pages for the Wiki, specialization
pages, and updated content

Hi all,

I turned all the headings on the Knowledgebase into links to gateway
pages.

Those that did not exist I created, and pasted in code from the
Knowledgebase page.

Those that already existed have some content in the form of the
automated Drupal links that are created when you make a page a child of
another page.

This clumsy enforced hierarchy, with its bottom-of-page,
even-more-clumsy next-previous navigation was, I believe, a reason
behind Su-Laine's criticism of hierarchy.

If she had been on the call, I think she would have agreed with
Michael's observation about Wikipedia hierarchies, like disambiguation
pages and categories.

Anyway, those of you who elect to write a shortdesc for each gateway
page might talk with Carol, who can show you how to implement the
Drupal-style hierarchy.

For my part, I think it sucks. My Drupal clients don't use it.

I also found Bruce Esrig's Introduction to Specialization page and added
it to the Knowledgebase (we do have a knowledgebase if not a true wiki).

I am a little vague on why we have both an Introduction to
Specializationss (submitted by Bruce)  and a Specializations page
(submitted by Carol).

Bruce has a few pages on possible future specializations - taxonomies,
training (we have this), and troubleshooting (we have this too). We need
to rewrite his old content.

I added Troubleshooting and Training to the Knowledgebase.

Troubleshooting is currently a News page.

I rewrote Troubleshooting as a Wiki page and brought its content up to
date. The SourceForge link went to the general DITA OT page instead of
something specific to Troubleshooting.

I added the links on the Specializations page to the Knowledgebase.

I also added JoAnn's white paper to the Business Case page.
http://dita.xml.org/wiki/making-the-business-case-for-dita

Cheers.

Bob

--