   Re: XML API specification

  • From: lee@sq.com
  • To: Peter@ursus.demon.co.uk, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 97 12:37:11 EST

> My current understanding (PLEASE CORRECT THIS ANYONE!) is that a normalised
> WF XML document is isomorphic to its ESISStream.

It depends on what you mean by normalised.
An SGML editor based on ESIS would not be very popular, as it
would delete comments, and general entities would be expanded, so you
would not be able to read a file and save it without losing your comments
and entities!

> Ah... I am looking at the section.  This was a bit I hoped was 'unimportant'.
> The XML-WG has been debating whether conecpts from standards outside XML can
> be used without being explicitly in the XML spec.  I would hate to think
> that XML implicitly involved 10179:9.6.  I can accept that it may/will come
> into PhaseIII.

I would hate to think that too.  You must not have to read DSSSL (still
less understand it!) in order to work with or implement XML parsers.
You might have to do that to work with XML styles, of course...

Lee

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers