   Re: Which style first ? Re: Associating DSSSL style sheets with documen

  • From: lee@sq.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 97 00:37:48 EST

> lee@sq.com wrote ( thank you for your suggetion),
> >We don't clearly distinguish between the type of an object (e.g.
> >its data format, as determined by NOTATION or Mime Media Type) and
> >our intended use of it.
>
> Using NOTATION as intention for use of entity is not so good in SGML?

I did not mean to imply that NOTATION was not a good thing to use
in conjunction with an entity in SGML.

I wanted to point out that it is used for two different purposes.
First, it is used to identify the type of the entity.
Second, it is often used to specify how to process the entity.

This assumes that all objects of the same type are always
processed in the same way.  But this is not the case.

In any case, I would not expect an arbitrary style sheet to be
referred to as an SGML entity unless, as in James' example, you
want to refer to it explicitly in a document.

A style sheet is not normally part of the actual document itself.

If yuo want to link from a document to style sheet, you could
reasonably (I think) use processing instructions.
I don't yet know how XML will decide to do this.

> ^[$BIY;NDL8&5f=j^[(J ^[$BL@@P8&^[(J ^[$B>pJs%5!<%S%98&5fIt^[(J
> ^[$B@FF#^[(J ^[$B0l<B^[(J

Lee

--
Liam Quin, lee@sq.com         | lq-text freely available Unix text retrieval
Senior Technical Consultant   | FAQs: Metafont fonts, OPEN LOOK UI, OpenWindows

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers