   Re: character encoding questions

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:53:33 +1000

> From: Christina Portillo <Alice.Portillo@PSS.boeing.com>

> My questions are:
> 1. How are the software vendors (browser, parser, authoring) planning on
> supporting documents which utilize the UNICODE character set?

I am using EditTime at the moment: it supports Unicode document character set
and ENR extended naming rules SGML declaration.  It is not  officially XML,
but you can type in /> for EMPTY elements, so you can create XML documents.

I don't know whether it allows &#x  hexadecimal numeric character references,
but it certainly supports SPREAD-style &U hexadeclimal entity references, so
it can be trivially converted to XML.

They seem to have Japanese & Chinese versions available, and also support the
European scripts.

Rick Jelliffe

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers