   Re: XML iMarket Project Planning Meeting

  • From: "Eve L. Maler" <elm@arbortext.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 19:35:50 -0400

(I just posted this directly to xml-dev; if any of the iMarket folks wants
to post this to the original recipients of the thread, be my guest...)

At the Montreal face-to-face XML WG meeting, Eliot Kimber mentioned a cool
idea: Schemas can be in the business of providing synonyms for semantics
published in other schemas.  Schemas can also be in the business of
providing mappings from names to multiple schemas.

Thus, if you want to use your own name for something, you can create a
schema (why not even use AF syntax?) that does nothing but map your name to
the "standard" one or to several "standard" ones.  So my personal schema
can map eve:gazorninplat to both dc:subject and docbook:subject if I want
it to.

This could have some interesting consequences:

  o You could chain schemas as much as necessary to get your desired effect.

  o An interesting market in derivative schemas could develop.

  o XML-only documents wouldn't require full AFDR functionality.

So Jonathan's suggestion below could be seen as a suggestion to create a
base schema using AFDR syntax, which others could use directly, or in
modified form by inserting another schema.

I don't know, maybe all this is obvious to everybody else, but seeing the
problem this way blows my mind.  It makes me think that (ironically?) the
first obvious candidate for "non-DTD" schema syntax is AFDRs.

	Eve

At 04:04 PM 9/25/97 -0400, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Perhaps the standards could describe architectural forms which would be the
>basis for more individual DTDs created by each vendor. This allows searches
>to be done for anything in the architectural forms, but still allows each
>vendor to have additional information. Because each vendor has a DTD,
>documents can still be validated when they are authored, even though they
>have vendor-specific information. Because the DTDs are based on common
>architectures, searches can be done across vendors.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)