   Re: Animal-friends implemented as a pattern (Re: XML-Data:advantages ove

  • From: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 97 15:49:47 BST

Michael said:
>  ><!ENTITY % animal-friends-content
>  >	" ( pet | cat | dog %extra-animal-friends-content )* "
>  >
>  >so that you could do
>  >
>  ><!ENTITY % extra-animal-friends-content '| stick-insect'>
>  >
>  >[Note this is not valid XML, I don't think]
>
>  I believe it is valid XML, at least according to the spec of early
>  August.  The internal subset cannot have parameter entity references,
>  but there's no rule against parameter entity declarations in the
>  internal subset.

Michael is absolutely correct -- I was confusing ENTITY definitions
with CONTENT model definitions.  One of the non-obvious consequences
of the current (8879-inherited) situation is that the above is OK, but
the following isn't:

<!ELEMENT animal-friends ( pet | cat | dog %extra-animal-friends-content )*>

ht

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)