   Re: AFs and the DPH

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 09:40:27

At 20:18 01/10/97 -0400, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At 12:31 AM 10/2/97, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
[...]
>>Many people (e.g. Eliot Kimber and James
>>Clark) have been very helpful but I suffer from not having:
>>	- a beginner's introduction to AFs on the WWW
>
>Yes, I have found a few things on the web, but nothing as clear and
>well-written as Microsoft's paper on XML-Data. If someone would just follow
>the organization of Microsoft's paper to present the same information on
>Architectural Forms, that would be a great way to demonstrate that
>Architectural Forms have the same power, and would make it much easier to
>make fair comparisons.

Thanks to all who have replied so far. From what has been said it sounds as
if AFS are easier to implement and use than appears. Given that XLL could
be implemented using an AF mechanism and that many people seem to think
that AFs will be important in the future of X*L, is this a useful time to
think about what is required for their implementation (ideally for me in
Java).  If it really is within DPH ability, this shouldn't be a major job.

May I reduce my ignorance further by asking some simple questions:
	- must a DTD (or at least an ATTLIST) always be provided with the document
instance?
	- if so, how is this information going to be transmitted to the AF-aware
processor. Will Xapi-J do this?
	- is any other information required, or can the processor deduce from the
values transmitted that this is an AF?
	- if other information is required, how is it to be included (does SP
require additional arguments/input, for example)
	- is the working of the processor completely automatic?
	- what is the output of the processor? (a grove?). Can it be represented
by an ESIS stream?

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg