   Re: Query Languages for XML

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 00:01:32

At 11:02 19/11/97 -0000, Martin Bryan wrote:
>Paul Prescod wrote
>>> Where in XML do we have forms,
>>
>>"To reduce the initial barriers to adoption, a core set of HTML flow
>>objects is recommended in addition to the core DSSSL flow objects. The
>>HTML/CSS formatting model is somewhat different from the DSSSL model,
>>and the inclusion of the HTML/CSS flow objects will make it possible to
>>use XSL with HTML and CSS. It simplifies the targeting of HTML as the
>>output format, and retains consistency of the object model and dynamic
>>behaviors."
>> - http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-XSL.html
>>
>>Included in the list are:
>>
>>"FORM
>> INPUT
>> SELECT
>> TEXTAREA"
>>

>>> or any statement that tells anyone what will
>>> happen to data placed into an editable field?
>>
>>This is specified in the HTML 4.0 proposed recommendation which has
>>provisions for interactive processing on either the client or server
>>sides.  If and when someone standardizes an updateable document data
>>manipulation language, it can be accessed from these forms just as SQL
>>and ODQL are today.
>>
>So we are constrained to using the types of form objects defined in HTML
>using the processes defined in HTML 4.0, and can add no new functionality
>via XSL?

The XSL/HTML4.0 looks an exciting place to start from (which I had
overlooked). It would seem to be the most appropriate way to think about
forms in XML (rather than developing them from scratch)

Currently XSL (IMO) seems to derive almost entirely from a paper based
metaphor. Although 'screen' is mentioned (just) under SCROLL flowobjects,
these are little more than inanimate chunks of pixels. XML does not address
how to add buttons, etc. This *could* be done by ECMAScript, I suppose, but
it starts to look a bit kludgy.

I am much more concerned with the potential interactive properties of XSL
than laying out text to the nearest micron. I am not disparaging that -
it's very important - but it seems to be the main philosophy behind XSL.
I'd like to see an interactive component built in.

	P.

>Martin Bryan
>

>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
>Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/