   Re: MS XML parser only works with IE...

  • From: Paul Prescod <papresco@technologist.com>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 13:21:01 -0500

> Short tagging is NOT an optional
> feature of XML, and should NOT be a feature of MSXML either.  If it is allowed
> to be an optional feature, than my XYZ parser is either going to have to
> accept Microsoft's 'extensions' or reject a lot of documents created by people
> who only tested on the Microsoft tools.

If a user enables a non-standard option, they get what they deserve.
It's as simple as that. Every compiler I have ever used has had flags
for non-standard options. When Microsoft serves non-standard documents
over the Web, that's another issue. The web is the place for
interoperability.

But in Microsoft's own source code, they can embed an RTF parser if they
bloody well feel like. They do have a responsibility to make clear the
distinction between the RTF features and the XML features, of course,
but they don't have a responsibility to make software that exclusively
handles W3C XML.

 Paul Prescod

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest