   RE: EMBED and validation

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 97 15:36:13 UT

>From a DOM perspective, EMBEDded material will almost certainly not be
>considered part of the document tree containing the EMBED element.

I very much look forward to seeing what the DOM does (or doesn't do) with the
EMBEDded material.  But is this an issue for the DOM in particular, or should
the XML-Link spec give clearer direction about the nature of EMBEDded
material?  Especially as some of the replies so far have said that an
application _could_ include the EMBEDded material in the document tree _if_
the developer so chose - which opens the door to multiple interpretations in a
large way.

And, of course, I can think of a considerable number of applications where it
might be useful to be apply to apply the DOM to EMBEDded content without
having to cope with a separate document tree.

Sounds like fun.  For the applications I'm proposing, I'd like them in the
document tree, but of course that isn't appropriate for many situations.  I'd
really rather not see this prohibited, either - it would chop off an entire
branch of XML development I'm working on.  Could be the price of progress.
We'll see.

I guess what I'd love to see is another XML-Link attribute specifying whether
to include an EMBED in the document tree or not - it seems to be the central
issue around which this discussion has focused. Failing that, I'll look into
Peter's proposals for XDEV, since they seem to address the challenges of
multiple application behaviors directly - if they get implemented by
application developers, of course.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer (January) / Cookies (February)

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)