   RE: EMBED and validation

  • From: Rob McDougall <RMcDouga@JetForm.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 11:22:39 -0500

I'm new to XML but this doesn't seem to accomplish what I would be
looking for as an "include" capability.

Let's say I have a markup language (let's call if RML, "Rob's Markup
Language"). I create a DTD for it and post it to my public web site.
All users of RML put the URL for the DTD in the <!DOCTYPE> declaration.
So far so good?

Now, if one particular user of RML notices that there's a section that's
common across every one of their RML documents, they might wish to
seperate it out into a distinct file and insert a link to it.  This
common piece is not a complete document unto itself so it cannot be
validated, yet the user may wish to have the documents that include make
sure that it is valid within the context that it was embedded.  Since
this particular file is unique to this user and not all RML users, it
does not belong in the commono DTD.  This would seem to make an external
text entity undesireable for this case.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?  Is there any other way to
accomplish this using the current XML/XLL specs?

Rob
Rob McDougall            Phone:  (613)751-4800 ext.5232
JetForm Corporation      Fax:    (613)751-4864
http://www.jetform.com   mailto:rmcdouga@jetform.com

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)