   Re: PI, XMLDecl, and EncodingPI

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 17:45:40 -0800

At 06:11 PM 03/12/97 -0700, Chris Hubick wrote:
>	Within a PI is the Name "xml" reserved?  If it is, should
>there not be a [wfc] on PI stating so?

In fact, in the latest rev, we wired it right into the grammar.

>	By the current definition any XMLDecl and EncodingPI is also
>a valid PI.  In a prolog an XMLDecl is optional, and is followed
>by Misc, which includes PI.
>	Ok, so I have can have an XML file with no XMLDecl
>(it's optional) followed by "<?xml version="blah" encoding=5?>" which
>matches PI, in my Misc*.  And this is legal?

Nope.  And the grammar will getcha, because this no longer matches PI.

>Shouldn't [19] PI have an S? at the end before '?>' ?

No, because Char includes S

>[17] PCData ::= [^<&]+
>rather than the current:
>[17] PCData ::= [^<&]*
>In my recursive descent parses to:

It can't be +, because the empty string must match PCData.  You'll just
have to figure out how to stop descending.

 -Tim

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)