   Re: Newbie Q: NXP attribute validation

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 18:51:35

At 20:21 11/12/97 +0300, Dmitri Kondratiev wrote:

Hi Dima,

>Please help a newbie DTD writer :) I am trying to validate with NXP
>attribute ID in element Foo :
>
><?XML version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" RMD='ALL'?>
><!DOCTYPE FooBar SYSTEM "FooBar.dtd">
>
><FooBar>
><Foo ID="Bar"/>
><FooBar/>

This is not a well-formed document and the last line should (probably) be:

</FooBar> instead of <FooBar/>

[...]
>As a result I get "Attribute has not be declared : ID" error. What am I
>doing wrong ?

One of the problems with XML parsers (rather like compilers) is that it can
be quite difficult to produce error messages that tell you precisely what
is wrong. So I can't tell you *why* you got this message, but most error
messages are 'somewhere near' the error.

Sometimes it can be helpful to run more than one parser because they often
give different clues.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg