   Re: YAXPAPI (Yet Another XML Parser API)- an XDEV proposal

  • From: David Megginson <ak117@freenet.carleton.ca>
  • To: "Mark L. Fussell" <fussellm@alumni.caltech.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 20:09:02 -0500

Mark L. Fussell writes:

 > That does lead me to a question: David, are you assuming that XmlParser is
 > always standalone?  If someone packages it with their application/applet
 > it is only about 11K in a compressed JAR so you are pretty close to your
 > size design goal from that pespective.

No, I have designed it mostly to be hidden deep within applets and
applications (possibly without the user even being aware that the
applet has an XML parser).  I am glad to hear that Ælfred compresses
down to 11K in a JAR file; now if only Bill and Scott would kiss and
make up, and the entire user community would celebrate the moment by
upgrading their browsers...

On a different note, I have given Ælfred a zero-argument constructor,
and have provided some public setters and accessors, but I have not
implemented the Serializable interface (because it does not exist in
Java 1.0.2).  I am curious whether Ælfred will work in the Beanbox as
a simple invisible bean, but I haven't had time to download the
Beanbox and check.

All the best,

David

--