   Java question

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 17:19:49 -0800

O Java gureaux, the recent discussions about compactness have started me
thinking.  I'm now debugging the validation code for Lark.  I've got it
in a separate package, textuality.validator; the validation code is
half-again as large as the basic WF code: 60+ K as opposed to 45K; it
has classes like 'DTD' and 'Attlist' and 'Validator' and so on.

I'd like for people who want to use Lark as just a WF checker to
avoid the overhead of downloading 60K of validation rubbish.  Lark now
has a method called lark.validate(boolean) and if it's not turned on,
none of those textuality.validator classes will ever get invoked.
However, is an applet loader going to pull 'em all in over the
network regardless?

I suppose if this is the case, I could create two different Lark
distributions, using the trick documented in the O'Reilly book
where I say

private static final boolean sVALIDATE = false;

and then bracket all refs to validation classes with

if (sVALIDATE)
{

}

which won't get compiled.

Or, should I provide stubbed-out class files for the only two classes
that are directly referenced, DTD and Validator?

Or, is this worth worrying about?  Or is there a standard way to
achieve this effect?  Wisdom welcome. -Tim

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)